On February 22nd, TableTop.Events’ (TTE) server had an unprecedented error and were disabled. We suspended sales at that time to take the load off the servers while they were repaired. We attempted to reopen, but more errors kept popping up and the servers, despite adequate load, were still not functioning. We decided the best option was to delay Event Registration to another day to allow for time to correct the issues. We understand that this is incredibly inconvenient and disappointing. TTE is a well established third party convention management service that we, and many others, have used for years. The surge for our Event Registration was anticipated and measures were taken to provide enough server strength, but another issue arose. Thank you for bearing with us as we fight through this challenge.
We want to ensure that TTE has adequate time to research and rectify the problem before we announce when we will re-open Event Registration. We will notify everyone using the TTE Update feature, website news, forums and social media at least 24 hours in advance of the re-opening. If you were able to purchase events, you will get to keep those. If you have events in your cart, they will remain there until registration reopens; you will still need to check out in a timely fashion. We are working with TTE to extend the window of time before the carts will empty once we reopen. The goal is to give everyone an extended window of time to “buy” the tickets in their cart. We understand that not everyone will be able to be available whenever we re-open Event Registration. We apologize for this inconvenience and are working closely with TTE staff to resolve it and ensure it doesn’t happen again.