Gary Con & Grand Geneva Actions to Mitigate Risk at GC XII
There is a lot of attention on infectious diseases this cold and flu season, including COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus), and we have addressed several attendees questions about it. We wanted to let everyone know publicly how we are working with the Grand Geneva staff to take actions to mitigate the risk of contracting an infectious disease while at the Grand Geneva Resort to celebrate Gary Con.
- It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and the CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed. Please read these carefully and follow them. These are relatively simple and believed to be the best defense against infection diseases. Good hygiene and proper hand washing are a must.
- Individuals and communities should familiarize themselves with recommendations to protect themselves and their communities from getting and spreading respiratory illnesses like coronavirus disease 2019.
- Older people and people with severe chronic conditions should take special precautions because they are at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness.
- If you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 and develop symptoms of COVID-19, call your healthcare provider and tell them about your symptoms and your exposure.
If you are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, and especially the two main, known symptoms of COVID-19, a high fever and a dry cough, that you stay home. It is important that you not expose others to the risk of getting sick because you decided to disregard their health and safety.
If you live in a community where Coronavirus cases have been documented and you may have been exposed to it, we would ask you to weigh your attendance vs. possibly exposing other attendees. Be aware that people infected with the Coronavirus can be contageous with no external symptoms for an extended period of time.
If you suffer from chronic conditions, possess a compromised immune system, are recovering from a major illness or hospitalization or have respiratory issues we urge you to consult with your medical provider before deciding to attend Gary Con. If you are in a higher risk category please strongly consider staying home this year.
Due to the recent issues surrounding the Coronavirus, as a precaution we have introduced enhancedprevention measures and cleaning protocols to ensure the highest safety standards. Our actions areconsistent with guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), best practices within thehospitality industry and our Corporate risk management team.
The CDC continues to emphasize that, at this time, the Coronavirus poses low risk ofexposure to most people in the U.S. The well-being of our guests and associates is a top priority. Whilewe don’t foresee any issues with Gary Con, we are monitoring the situation very closely and areprepared to take additional steps as new information and best practices emerge.
Steps we have taken to date:
• Educated our managers and associates per guidelines and information provided by the
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) which included:
What You Need to Know About Coronavirus
What to Do if You Are Sick with Coronavirus
Stop The Spread of Germs
Symptoms of Coronavirus
Contained within this information are reminders for associates on proper hand hygiene,
what the symptoms look like, to stay home if sick and the importance of properly
cleaning high-touch surfaces.
To support the communication of the above information, posters have been placed in all
• Enhanced hotel cleaning guidelines specific to Coronavirus have been created by our
partners at Ecolab which is being used to retrain staff. This includes increasing frequency
with which public areas are cleaned.
• Associates are being retrained on the proper use of personal protective equipment to
include gloves, goggles and masks.
• Antibacterial soap has been provided in all public area bathrooms and associate locker
rooms and hand sanitizer stations have been placed in public areas.
We hope that the above measures address any concerns regarding the proper handling of the Coronavirus.
Gary Con is about family, friends and fellow game aficionados coming together to celebrate the life and works of Gary Gygax. By taking these reasonable steps we feel confident that Gary Con XII will be great experience for everyone! We look forward to welcoming you to Gary Con in Lake Geneva in just a few days from now.
The Gary Con Staff